There are several ways of preparing Banana Chips, some prepare baking it in a oven but Pinoys want it crisp and sweet. For most Filipinos, Banana chips are cooked by deep frying slices of bananas and dipping it in a simple syrup. The delicacy is normally consumed as merienda (snack) or just nibbling it while on a long bus ride.
Here’s my take on this favorite Pinoy delicacy.
How to cook Banana Chips
- In a bowl,combine 2 tablespoons of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 3 cups of ice water.
- Peel the bananas and slice it using a mandolin, place sliced bananas in the iced water mixture.
- Keep bananas soaked in iced water mixture for 10 minutes then drain.
- Lay bananas in a heavy duty paper towel to remove excess water.
- Heat enough oil for deep frying.
- Deep fry the bananas until crisp. Place only few slices at a time to avoid overcrowding. Once bananas are nearly done pour a miture of 1 tablespoon of salt dluited in 1 tablespoon of water into the oil.
- Remove the bananas from the pan and drain excess oil by placing it in a heavy duty paper towel.
- In a sauce pan, place 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of sugar to make the simple syrup. Let it boil, simmer until it thickens around 2/3 of the original volume.
- Remove syrup from heat then dip banana chip sin the syrup. Place chips in a wire rack to drain excess liquid. Set aside and let it dry.
- Once dried, store the banana chips in an airtight container.