Chicken Afritada is a famous tomato base Filipino Dish, the cooking procedure is the same as it’s cousin, the Pork Afritada. The chicken is first fried (seared) in a cooking oil before boiling it in the combination of tomato sauce and chicken/pork broth.
It’s a complete meal with starch (potato), vegetable (green peas & carrots) and protein (chicken), try it now!
Chicken Afritada Cooking Procedure:
- Heat oil, in a cooking pot or wok.
- Sauté garlic and onions.
- Add chicken and slightly brown.
- Pour the tomato sauce and stock. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Add potatoes and carrot, continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are cooked but not mushy.
- Add the green peas, green and red bell peppers, simmer for an additional minute or two.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve this dish hot with steamed rice.