This is my personal favorite, Ukoy has been my comfort food since childhood. The dish is so versatile that you can eat it as merienda or with rice.
Preparing Ukoy is quite easy, it’s delicious and healthy.
Ukoy Cooking Procedure
- Sift the first five batter ingredients together in a bowl.
- Blend in the annatto water, broth and egg.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add the grated squash, onion, green onion & toge into the batter
- Heat oil in high heat for deep-frying.
- Scoop 1/2 cup of batter & vegetable mixture in a saucer.
- Top with tofu strips and shrimps.
- Add about 1/3 cup of batter.
- Slide the mixture carefully into the hot oil.
- Fry until crisp and brown on both sides.
- Drain in paper towels.
- Serve with a mixture of vinegar, pepper and crushed garlic for dipping seasoned with salt and pepper, for some added kick, you can add chilli on the dip.