Pichi-Pichi is a sticky gelatinous cake made from grated cassava and steamed for 45 minutes or until firm, golden in color clear.
Pichi-Pichi is normally prepared in flat circle shaped cake rolled in grated coconut, others prefer forming it into balls before rolling it in grated coconuts.
Pichi-Pichi Cooking procedure:
- Mix all the ingredients together, except the grated coconut.
- Stir until well blended and no lumps remain.
- Pour into a heat proof shallow bowl. Steam for 45 minutes.
- The steamed pichi-pichi should be firm, golden in color and clear.
- Let the pichi-pichi cool down for a few minutes.
- Cut into serving size pieces, 2″ x 2″ should be fine.
- Roll each piece in grated coconut. Serve.
- If grated is not available, you can substitute with equal amount of cassava flour
- To prepare pandan water, boil 4 Pandan leaves into 2 cups of water or just 1/2 teaspoon of pandan extract into 2 cups of water.
- Another variation is to add different colors by adding food coloring to several batches of the mix